Saturday, April 11, 2009

Becoming ME

It has become painfully obvious to me that I hold on to pain and allow it to eat me up inside. Things from my childhood haunt me and occurrences from recent years still burn a hole in my thoughts.

I don't think that it's necessarily a bad thing that I feel so much. But, when you put other people ahead of yourself and allow everything in, it has a lasting effect.

I was always an emotional child; the one to give hugs and cry when an animal passed way. That is not something I can really change. After much soul-searching and prayer, I have come up with a theory.

God has a plan for each of us and lessons he wishes us to learn. In the end, it is the most important aspect of your life. I believe that my Heavenly Father intends for me to live a life of feelings and empathy. At times, that may mean that I go through a painful emotion, but one should be willing to take the bad with the good.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent" - Eleanor Roosevelt said it best.

I have to stop living my life based on what others may think or feel about my choices. I do what I think is right, and I don't think that I am a mean person who sets out to hurt others. In trying to live like others and be strong, I have lost myself.

In coming back to 'me', I am embracing my emotions and pain, and allowing myself to feel again; to work through my thoughts and apologize to no one for it.

I don't want to be an angry person, and I believe that my Father in heaven is trying to help me get back to my path. "Life's a journey, not a destination...But, how far can you fly with broken wings?" The answer is, as high as your imagination and faith will take you....

1 comment:

Rhea said...

I like this blog. Although our experience in the NICU is not what we had expected, it does make you realize the more important things in life. That is family and friends. Not the mundane things like work, career, material things, etc. It's sad that it took this experience for me to realize this.