Friday, March 6, 2009

My Birthday Celebration

When Jason told me that he had something special planned for me, I have to admit that I was a little scared. My husband is NOT a planner in any way, and that's been true throughout our entire relationship (over a decade). But, I smiled graciously, and said, "sounds great, honey". Inside, I was thinking "oh dear... let's just see what happens..."

I know that doesn't sound very trusting, but if you know Jason, you can understand my hesitation. He is a driver, a doer; not a planner. You tell him the plan and he will get it done. Usually, I make all of the arangements and he makes sure we follow through.

This is what makes our relationship work.

So, here it is, a whole month ahead of my birthday, and he already has plans?!?!

Flash forward to February 26th, two days before my birthday. We have dinner reservations at a lovely romantic restaurant, Kai is at our friends' house, and a big surprise awaits me later in the evening. Can I say that I was SHOCKED?!?!

No, I was very pleasantly surprised. It felt so special and sweet, because my husband had actually taken time to create a schedule of events, arrange child care, and ensure that we stuck to our plans. All of this for me? I hate people fussing over me. Maybe that's why I decided on a small wedding. But, I have to admit, after a year of dirty diapers and food stains on my clothes, dressing up for a nice night out was AMAZING. I didn't realize how much I really missed spending alone time with my husband until that night.

Dinner was truly great. I didn't have one single complaint. The food was delicious, the service was perfect, and the setting was exactly what I would have wanted.

After dinner, we had to rush to our big surprise. As we were driving, Jason pulls into his breast jacket pocket, and pulls out tickets. For what, you ask?

THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA.....

My chin hit the floor. I have been wanting to see this show since they announced it was coming to Las Vegas, and we just never found the right combination of money and time.

By the end of the night, I was a mess. It was a bombardment of romance and love all night, and I just wanted to curl up with my hubby and cry. He truly thought about what I would have wanted out of the night.

This is why I love my husband. He can be a stereotypical man sometimes, only seeing his own needs. Then, every once in a while, he shows his soft, gooey core -the part that reassures me that he really does love and care for me.

To sum up... It was a great birthday!

No comments: